Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rain

As I have said before, I live in Florida. When I first pulled into this state while driving a Uhaul, I saw and was a part of my first (as my mom called it) monsoon rain. I was pretty sure that it was not safe to live here and I was literally trying to stay calm enough to turn that beast of a truck around and  to get the heck out of Dodge.

 Since my mom wasn't really panicking, I did figure after a few moments, that maybe we would survive. 
I personally wanted to call the shelters because I just knew we wouldn't have power as we got to our destination and I was waiting to see some sort of cow flying by. (Twister quote)

Another thing that took me years to get used to here was that even though it was raining it was NOT cold out. I am from Oregon. It rains you grab a jacket. I bet it was close to 5 years later and I still grabbed a jacket. It just makes sense to me.
 It does not rain normal here. It rains sideways.  Umbrellas really don't help in that situation. Just today I waited as long as I could in the grocery store parking lot for it to let up just a little. Took out umbrella....still soaked. By the way I wished I would have brought a jacket because the milk isle is sure cold when you are soaking wet.
Besides the rain is the loud close thunder.  At 4 am I was awakened by the loudest thunder ever. I wear earplugs and it jolted me out of a dead sleep. I don't remember that happening in Oregon.

 I do, however love all the green that is here. There would be no green if there were no rain. So I will remember to bring my umbrella and also maybe my jacket and I will smile because it's about to get real pretty if you just wait a few. 

Peace, Candy


2 comments:

  1. It waited until I was in the parking lot with my groceries before it down poured yesterday. Less than five minutes later, I was dripping. Brr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could come visit us and feel right at home! Last weekend, it rained and I had a weird feeling as I watched it come down. Finally, I realized why - it was coming STRAIGHT down, and actually rather gently. Generally it's flying about parallel to the ground in a rather violent manner. It was so noteworthy I called my husband to watch. We were rather tired of the violent stuff, which usually comes in the dead of night and pours into our doors and windows... we have to get up and turn off all the computers and place towels in strategic spots... earplugs would be a bonus. I often think of Oregon too... yup, different kind of storms there.

    ReplyDelete